Creating abundance in your life and work is a process.
Career Growth is a process that leads to abundance when you have a model for success. You can begin where you are and use Maslow’s model to see where you want to grow in your life and work. Awareness of your wants and needs are the first step.
You can use this model as an assessment, as a starting place for coaching, for self-reflection, or for journaling your wants and needs. Each person’s personality, culture, experience, and background influence their wants and needs, but a systematic approach can be a starting place for your career growth.
Career Growth Model
“A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately happy. What a man can be, he must be. This need we may call self-actualization.”Abraham Maslow
- Do you have food you want that provides the nutrition you need?
- Are you able to breathe fresh air?
- Can you get the exercise your body needs?
- Are you able to get health insurance?
- Do you feel safe where you live?
- Do you secure in your future?
- Do you have supportive relationships in your home/neighborhood?
- Do you feel part of a supportive team at your work or business?
- Have you made connections that you take with you through each work/life transition?
- Do you feel a sense of confidence in yourself?
- Do you feel appreciated for your achievements?
- Does your work give you a sense of accomplishment?
- Do you generally feel happy?
- Is there something in your life that makes you feel alive?
- Do you take time to laugh, play, and feel gratitude?
- Is there something in your life/work that takes you beyond yourself?
- Is there a cause that you feel passionate about?
- Do you feel connected with God or a higher power that brings you a sense of unity or harmony?
Cherry, Kendra (2022). Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-maslows-hierarchy-of-needs-4136760
Celestine, Nicole (2017). Abraham Maslow, His Theory & Contribution to Psychology. https://positivepsychology.com/abraham-maslow/
This model in no way tells you what you want or what you need. The purpose of the Career Growth Model is for self-reflection and talking points. Content may be duplicated in its entirety with attribution including the link. Thank you for sharing.
The purpose of this website is for personal information only and is not intended as counseling or coaching. Consult your physician or mental health provider regarding advice or support for your health and wellbeing.
Copyright Nancy J Miller @ 2022. Content may be duplicated in its entirety with attribution including the link. Thank you for sharing.